Crafts ~ Recipes ~ Our New House ~ Book Reviews

December 28, 2011

A Day on the Ice


We went on our first ice fishing excursion of the year yesterday. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be out on the lake. A little windy, but a high of about 41 degrees. We love to fish and we go whenever possible. There is already over eight inches of ice on most lakes, for those of you concerned about our safety. Yes, mom, that means you.
Ice fishing can be an exciting activity for just about anyone. Sometimes it is nice to go alone or bring the whole family. This time it was myself, my husband, my father, and my sister and her boyfriend. And of course, we never go anywhere in this family without at least one dog so my sister had her black lab puppy with us as well. We had a great day on the ice. We set 8 tip ups and caught one bass and one northern. We also jigged and caught several bluegills and a few crappies. Successful day for sure.
I love to be on the ice. Being outdoors in the winter is always so peaceful. The lake that we fished on was very secluded, no drive in access and no homes or buildings on it. These types of lakes are my favorite lakes. We saw a ton of wildlife and of course, I left my camera in the truck. Since it was a llloooonnnnnggg walk back I decided not to retrieve it. However, I will tell you that we did see a family of otter’s playing in the open water where the river emptied into the lake, a bald eagle, and a turkey.
I managed to get a few pictures of the river as we were driving out. So beautiful. I wish I could spend every day out here.





I owe you otters. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season and getting in some family time.

No comments: